Data privacy and anonymous browsing were once luxuries that people, despite having the possibility to afford them, opted to ignore. However, times have changed, and those “optional” traits quietly became necessities because hackers and cybercriminals have developed innovative ways to steal identities, data, and money.
Setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) using a Windows 10 PC is very straightforward. In this post, we will learn how to set up and run a VPN.
Operating systems and their updates are in danger of privacy breaches. That is the case with Windows 10, Microsoft’s newest toy. It has been in the market for three years now, and while it represents a tangible improvement over the Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows 8 versions, there are a few issues you need to keep in mind.
Achieve data privacy with a VPN
Virtual Private Networks, shortened to VPN, are online encryption apps or resources found on custom, private companies and also public, free ones. They encrypt and reroute every bit of data that the customer shares online: browsing history, login time, location (IP address) and more.
You can download VPN client here.
How to set up a VPN using a Windows 10 PC?
Here’s how to set up a VPN on Windows 10 via a VPN custom app:
- Assess the market and select a reliable VPN brand with extra privacy and security features, not to mention robust encryption and a no logging policy.
- Access that VPN’s website.
- Select your preferred plan. Most VPNs have monthly and yearly subscriptions, while others also have free versions and six-month terms.
- Register for the VPN service, providing a payment method and your personal information.
- Create a username and a password.
- Download and install the VPN client in your PC. Make sure it is compatible with Windows 10.
- Launch the VPN app in your PC.
- Sign in with the credentials you configured in the fifth step.
- Connect to a virtual server from any location.
- Done! You have successfully installed a VPN in your Windows 10 PC.
How to add and connect to a VPN on Windows 10?
- Right click on the Start button of your Windows 10 PC.
- Go to your Settings.
- Access the Network and Internet section.
- Click on VPN.
- Select the Add a VPN connection option.
- Select the menu below the VPN provider.
- Click on Windows (built-in).
- Choose the Connection option.
- Write your VPN connection name.
- Click on the Server name or address field.
- Now, you will write the server’s address, available on your VPN account.
- Access the drop-down menu located below the VPN type.
- Select your preferred VPN protocol.
- Select the menu located under Type of sign in info.
- Choose a sign-in method.
- Select the VPN you just configured, which will be available on the VPN list.
- Write your login credentials (username and passphrase) to connect.
- Done! You have added and connected a VPN in your Windows 10 PC.
In conclusion, the Windows 10 operating system is a definite upgrade over other Microsoft products. However, it is more privacy-invasive, so you need to be careful with what you share online or get a VPN to reroute and encrypt your content and protect it from any potentially dangerous agent.